Saturday, October 11, 2008

Giving away the game!

There are two things I absolutely hate about Jason Spezza. First and foremost I hate how he does so many interviews. Yes, he's a top flight centerman for the Ottawa Senators, but he is neither the spokesman for the club nor is he the best there is in the league. Jason, do the fans and the city a favour and shut up, play hockey and let the points do the talking! The second thing I hate is the thing that cost us the home opener against Detroit ... forced and/or blind passing!

For a couple of years I have griped about how often Spezza tried to thread the needle and how very frequently it goes wrong. I usually get the idiotic response from Spezza lovers of "yeah, but when it works it's AWESOME OMG!" Yeah, when it works... Simple plays lead to goals more often than fancy plays. If you have no option then put the puck on net. It's a whole lot better than firing between your legs back towards the blueline where it is picked off and starts an odd man rush!

Now, I know a lot of people will be sore about this, but c'mon Gerber. Three goals? Seriously? The first goal I can admit that Volchenkov MAY have screened you a bit, but you knew if it won't hit him it'll come up. The second goal there was no excuse ... you cheated and dropped early. The third goal hit Kuba's stick and wobbled, but hit the netminder and still got through. I don't mind a sloppy goal now and then, but when the Sens had actually played decent defence for most of the night I expect the goalie to bail the club out on a bad change. Yeah Gerbs played well other than those three goals, but the ones that go in are the only ones that count.

No comments: